Thursday 15 May 2008

B.A.T.M.A.N Is Coming




To have my own business is always on my mind since I was at tender age. The very basic I learnt about business was when I helped my late mother to sell malay kuih and nasi lemak at primary school. When my late father bought me a bicycle , I started selling ice cream around my village and selling ice cubes and ice blocks during Ramadhan with my 2nd brother. When I was terminated from a senior position by a resort, it gave me another opportunity to own a business and I opened up a successful warong at Langkawi . Last few years, the business expended when I operated few small resorts at Kuantan before bad luck struck on me ! Without much money left to start a business but believed that positive things will happen to positive people, I just worked free lance in sales and marketing with two advertising companies belong to my friends. Well...I gained another experiences and knowledge in advertising besides my knowledge in hotels and resorts management. I began to love the new trade and planning to open up my own advertising company instead of other business when I save enough money. I just want to call it B.A.T.M.A.N an abbreviation of Bus, Billboard And Taxi Media Ads Nationwide.


My simple strategy and plan is to work closely with any advertising companies who has Billboards , Buses and Taxis or others like LRT, telephone booths etc as their media . I will promote the medias to my existing clients and offered to any advertising companies who want to work with me with a very good advertising rates. I will calculate and then sell at my own rates. I have a number of giant companies whom I have known for many years and I am sure will support me. At this moment, I am still a free lance holding a position of Director Of Business Development with an advertising company who had an exclusive rights to use the 12,000 school buses nationwide as their media and I just got my appoinment letter , no basic salary offered, nothing I could claim, petrol, toll, entertainments and meals are on my own (but most of the time my friend Gary who owns the company bought me lunch) I will be given a 20% commission on any deals closed. I had been working very hard just to master the new trade and had few potential clients in the pipeline. I really hope and prayed that one of the clients will confirm taking the media that could change my life style. At the same time I could help my friend's company to earn some decent profit and grow bigger and better and this is only contribution that I could offer to thank him for giving me the opportunity to continue new my life !!


Unfortunately today, I received bad news ! one of the banks that I depended on to take the media has declined the offer, though they had the advertising budget over RM3 millions left for the fiscal year and wanted to spend it with us before June 2008 and indicated that they will use the school buses to promote their children saving scheme. But...Instead they took another Advertising company, I presumed offered a "better" proposals. Can you immagine a 20% commission out of RM3 millions just slipped away ??? Last few days I have been calculating the commission that I will receive and planning a lot of things, and to reward myself after 3 years being jobless by buying my dream's car, an apartment closed to the office , settle all my debts, give my children some extra saving etc, but it was so near yet so far away !! I was really sad because I been dreaming all that to happen since last week , but it is God The Almighty who had decided otherwise ! It's Ok to me as lady luck has not been so kind yet ! Then , I remembered the old saying.. " Do not counts the eggs before they are hatched !!" I totally forget about it ...!!!


"Happiness comes when we test our skills towards some meaningful purposes" I believe in it and will work hard again. I want to concentrate on sales technique that may had lapsed and I am sure the style will follow. It is not the end of the world yet . I still have few more clients to finalise details but it may not be as much as the commission I am supposed to receive from the bank's deal. I had a sleepless nights thinking and thinking what went wrong with me. I may not know myself well ?? as Sun Tzu said " Know yourself well and you will win all battles" I may just do that, "Choices not chances determine destiny !!!"


I will work closely with the company's team again because I believe every player has the power to make or break the team. I am sure I will get the best out of others when I give the best out of myself. I do not want to think what and why that has gone wrong. Nothing else matters now but the very moment when I will close the first deal. I will stay focused and I am sure there are so much more will be accomplished.


The world of achievement has always belonged to the optimist... Like Me ??!! I insisted.


I will go beyond the possibilities.... Courage is more exhilarating than fear and you never knew, next couple of months, you will see BATMAN is flying all over places !

No comments: