Friday 11 April 2008

Can It Happen?

During my years in the hospitality industry, I met and mixed with all class of people, Dignitries, VVIP, VIP, Rich & Famous, Not Rich but Famous, Not Famous But Rich, The Poor, Businessmen, Conmen, etc etc. and I found it very special to have the opportunity to meet and mix with them, or at least smiled and shook their hands or even a pat at my shoulders. Most of them are educated and fully respected and I learnt alot from them. They were just like a lecturer to me with new ideas and subjects that I never heard of. At that time I had only my MCE to be proud of. Luckily, I had the opportunity to study at the Institute Of Tourism and Hotel Management, Schloss Klessheim, Salzburg Austria. But then, I left them and didn't build up the relationship because as a hotelier I moved to other places when the job offers get better. I didn't realised how important is to maintain relationships . I have improved alots in my knowledge, anybody can talk any subjects with me and most people were impressed.

But then, I like a simple life, a simple friends. I could became a rich person before but I never asked for any favour or help. I wanted to stand on my own feet. A butler at one of the hotels was given quite a sum of money by a generous Sultan to start a business (As told by trade industry friends) . But I never had the chance ! the most tips I get was RM100 from a businessman and I was very happy. But mixing with those simple friends sometimes can cause problems. Most of my friends that I had now still the way they were eventhough I knew them 10 - 20 years ago. There was no improvement in their lives. The mentality is still the same. The subjects spoken are still the same, either on women or kedai kopi talk. I cannot listen to those kind of subjects anymore. I am interested in business talks. I am not being proud but at least I had a resort business before. I owned 2 luxury cars , stayed in a nice house fully furnished with airconditions in all rooms. I had a good life standing on my feet but lady luck didn't stay long. I blamed myself for trusting other people and I collapsed. They nearly put the final nail to my coffin !! But I realised quickly and go on with new life, though it was very tough to get up. I may be down, but not out yet !

When I returned to KL as I was staying in Kuantan before, most friends that I knew couldn't help me. Sometimes I have to beg for help but you cannot blame them for not helping. Why should they help me? I can give them 100 reasons but will they believe me? Firstly, I was not in full contact with them, I kept away from them. I went to look for them trying for help, but they looked at me as stranger and given excuses for not helping. Can anyone blame them?

Now, I have to adapt to a very simple life. Rented a room, instead of a house. An old friend offered me a job but not willing to pay as it should. With my experience and education he could have paid me much more, but then " Beggers cannot be choosy". So I worked and I couldn't give him a 100% committment. " You gave me peanuts, I acted like monkeys". Ofcourse he was not happy and I have to leave the company, with no regrets !

Should I mixed with the educated friends before, it would be a different story. Most of them are Dato now . Some even had 12 luxury cars at home. Me ? I have to depend on my son's car to move around looking for other opportunities to survive. So this is life all about." When you climb up a ladder, make sure you stop and talk to the people you met along the ways, because when you fall, you are going to meet those people again." I didn't practice that !!!

Life must go on... how difficult I am now, I always looked at other unfortunate people. I still didn't have to go to dustbin to collect empty cans or empty boxes, begging on the street or foodcourts. MY SPIRITS ARE STILL VERY HIGH, ONLY THE BODY CANNOT TAKE IT !! With limited income by doing odds jobs and from some generous friends, my close cousin Ali, my brothers and a son who contributed few ringgits, I managed to survive until now. I have no savings at all. Most of my money are gone. I am jobless for 3 years and spent whatever little saving that I had. However, I managed to invest some money before in a Trust Fund from my KWSP accounts and also my savings with KWSP and will only be available when I am 55 years. Well, it's quite a long way to look forward. Meanwhile, how do I live???

I am still searching for a decent job in Jobstreet. com, newspapers, old friends are the sources, but until now I am helpless. At this age, I understand many companies didn't want to employ me. But I never tried to become a security guard, or work at petrol station etc. Well, I still had a high ego in myself, I just didn't want to undergrade myself, that's the biggest problems. I feel those jobs are not suitable for me as an ex hotelier and a businessman, furhermore they already had Bangladesh, Nepal and Indonesian workers. They deserved the jobs with their qualifications and I just didn't want to take it away from them. What's wrong?? At least there some money to spent on food and I don't have to depend on other peoples. Well.. it will be easy for other people to say that !! How about you people? Will you work at those places ?? (If you have the kind of experience and education like mine)

Anyway, Believe me or not, I shall return... to be the someone like before or even better as I deserved ! Lady luck will come to me sooner or later !!!!

No comments: