Saturday 5 April 2008

My Career in Hotels & Resorts



Hyatt Kuantan


Equatorial KL







I was working as a bellboy for 5 years at Equatorial Hotel in 1972, carrying luggages, arranging transportation for hotels' guests. Money was very good as I have daily tips money from the guests. My RM60.00 basic monthly salary + 4 Points (service charge money collected from guests' bills) was not touched from the bank unless I have to send home for my family. My poor late father was not working only depending on odd jobs, my late mother always helped the family by selling kuih@ Pulut Udang. I have 2 brothers and a sister still scholling. I have to support the family by contributing at least RM 100.00 a month. It was a BIG money in 70's . I was happy supporting the family eventhough (honestly) sometimes I have nothing left for myself. I was only depending on my tips money to pay for my monthly expenses. Good enough for a bechelor boy !!! But... I never told my late parents if I have financial problems. I wanted them to be happy!! Working as a belboy however, has taught me alot, I learned to speak better English, well ! sometimes with slanks !! because there were many tourists from Australia, Europe etc and locals. Almost everyday, I noticed the guests either flashing their credit cards or taking out bundles of cash from their pockets either at reception counter or restaurants, etc and had motivated me to be like them having alot of money or credit cards. I said to myself, " I wanted to be like them, one day !)

In 1976 I was offered a position of Bellcaptain ( a step up) at Hyatt Kuantan, Pahang ( American International Chain Of Hotels ) I worked hard as I knew I could make it here.. True enough I was promoted to Trainee Assistant Manager 2 years later. My luck with Hyatt Resort continued as I was again promoted to Assistant Manager at Front Office and later as Night Manager. As Night Manager I was fully incharge of night operations of the resort as General Manager and other managers were only working at day time.


While working at Hyatt I was attracted to a hostess at coffee house (though many girls attracted to me !! You know La!! young and Handsome Manager !!! he! he) . We dated for few months and later decided to get married in 1980 . A year later we were gifted with a cute little boy.

No comments: